The approval process is very dependent on the potential foster parents' motivation. It can take between 30 and 90 days to carry out and accomplish tasks. The typical approval process occurs as follows:
1. The prospective foster family expresses interest in fostering children with the aid of LifeSpan Family Services of PA. The family is sent a brief questionnaire containing questions about the family and their interest in fostering children.
2. A social worker from our family services contacts the prospective family to set up an appointment to meet with the family, fill out the application, and review agency policies.
3. The prospective foster family provides required documentation (listed below).
4. With the aid of the social worker, the family becomes enrolled in the Pennsylvania Adoption Exchange, an association that helps connect families seeking to adopt or foster children with those children in need of placement.
5. The prospective foster family is required to complete twenty hours of training related to safety, parenting, and issues surround foster parenting.
6. A home safety check is conducted by the social worker in the presence of the prospective foster parents.
7. After these steps have been completed, the foster family is ready to accept a child into their home.